Saturday, March 2, 2013

Not Once

Recent events in the news have made me think about my Trans friends. There is a woman who attends church events and sometimes service who is Trans and I have had some of the best theological conversations of my life with her. There is a homeless woman and I simply adore the ground she walks on. I am currently knitting a scarf for her. I came across this on Tumblr today and I thought about it for a while.
I took Gender Studies last spring at Cedar Crest. Not once did we talk about the LGBT* community. Feminism is not only about equal rights for women, but equal rights for everyone. Feminism is about equal rights for the Trans community. The day that the feminist movement forgets that is about equality for everyone is the day it stops being the feminist movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment