Monday, May 20, 2013

Reclaiming Pentecost


Growing up in the AG I developed a hatred of Pentecost. The word itself made me cringe. Over the past four years I have been trying to reclaim scripture and church. Yesterday I decided to reclaim Pentecost. Part of reclaiming means that I carry a lot of baggage to the pew with me each week. Some of the baggage is because the church leaders told me repeatedly growing up that being gay was sin and that god would punish the gays.
I wasn’t really sure how to reclaim the church’s birthday. Just thinking about going to church on Pentecost gave me nightmares. The first logical step in reclaiming Pentecost was finding a church. That was easy. Google is my best friend as I learn my way around and settle into my new city. Then I looked at the list of ONA churches; sadly the UCC that is closest to my apartment wasn’t on the list. I almost didn’t go to church. But I decided to go. I figured that if it were horrible I would never go again. There are other UCC churches in the area.
For the first time in I think forever I enjoyed Pentecost. Worship was amazing. What struck me is that they youth were actively involved in the service. They played drums and answered questions in the sermon, it was like something I had never seen in a UCC before and it made me glad. The sermon was amazing. It was full of heart and soul and the joy that is Pentecost.
What I realized sitting in the pew with all of my baggage is this; being the light of the world means following the spirit wherever she leads.
Oh and incidentally yesterday was the St. Peter’s first official Sunday as an ONA congregation. When the spirit moves the spirit moves and I am getting better at following.
The good news is that the spirit is moving and God is still speaking in Lancaster, PA.

Go in peace. Live peace. Be peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment