Friday, October 11, 2013

NCOD 4 Years Later

Holy cow! The realization that I have been out of the closet for four years hasn't quit sunk in yet. Four years ago I was a freshmen at Cedar Crest College. I started my first semester in the closet; a terrified 18 year old. I use NCOD that year to come out to my family- bad idea. Yet, looking back I would have done it all over again, maybe with less yelling, but all over again.
The past four years have been a journey, a challenging, frustrating, hopeful, amazing journey. When I came out four years ago I came out as bisexual. I used this past Lent as a period of prayer and discernment. On Easter Sunday, I relabeled myself as pansexual.
It wasn't that I lied when I came out four years ago; four years ago I didn't even know that pansexuality was something I could label myself.
There was something different about coming out this time; I wasn't afraid. I stood my ground when I was challenged and did not retreat to the closet.
One of the first things I did when I moved into my new apartment at seminary was put the rainbow comma on my door followed by the safe space sign. I didn't hide who I was and I never will. No more living in fear.

Today is important for so many people around the world. Today is the day that many will make the decision to come out and many more will make the decision to stay in the closet.

Say it with me:
We are the people of God. We are holy, sacred, and created in the image of the divine. We matter. We are not abominations. We have a purpose. We have meaning. We are the children of God. We, like all of creation are good.

Do you believe that? Because it's true!

No comments:

Post a Comment