Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Taking God With You

So I have been doing a great deal of thinking about my future the past few days. For the past few months I have known where I wanted to go to seminary and now it has all changed because I did some research and received a phone call. I got a call from a seminary that I forgot I had even looked at and was informed that I could go to Kenya my final year of seminary. Kenya! Studying abroad somewhere has always been something that I have wanted to do, but Kenya isn't exactly Barcelona or Paris. And I don't really know if I want to go to this school. I mean it sounds great but how much can you really learn about a place in a 14 minute phone call.
But I know that no matter where I end up God will be with me. If I go to Kenya God will be there. If I stay in PA God will be with me. If I go to Cali God will be with me. If I go to Massachusetts God will be with me.
I guess what I am trying to get at is no matter where I go God will be with me. Because God is everywhere. When I told one of my friends about Kenya they replied, "Oh that's great. You can take God Kenya." But the thing is God is already in Kenya because if He wasn't in Kenya there would be no Kenya. God is everywhere, that's part of His job description as God.
In the Bible, Jacob runs away from home and has dream at a random place along the side of a road. He dreams about God and God makes a promise to Jacob in this dream. This idea of God coming to Jacob in a dream on the side of the road was a revolution in Judaism because the ancient view was that God was only in the Holy of Holies and the side of a road is most defiantly not the Holy of Holies and yet God was there.
This is because God is everywhere. God is in everything. God is always there. Even in places where it seems He is not, He is.
So in one way I will be taking God to Kenya. But at the same time God will already be in Kenya because God was always in Kenya. This is one of the mystery's of God that I have come to love, no matter how confusing it can be at times.

go in PEACE. be PEACE. live PEACE.

1 comment:

  1. Angie!!!
    Thats Great...
    studying abroad is an experience of culture, religion, friendships, maturity, but most of all, its a journey of self discovery...
    something that is really worth doing...
    great blog, Ill keep reading it :)

    ReplyDelete