Monday, October 3, 2011

The "Perfect" Church Part 2

Today I learned that more people read my blog than I realized. I learned this because I got a call from the not so happy pastor of the "mega" church I attended last summer. He wasn't very please with my conclusions about mega churches (I guess the truth hurts even when you are rich). 
He told me to think about what I would do if one day I was the pastor at a mega church that had billions of dollars in the bank and that my salary was millions of dollars. 
Challenge accepted.
Here is the list (not in any particular order) of what I would do if I had that much money at my disposal.
1. I would pay off my student loans and my credit card debt
2. I would give the members of the congregation who had debt money to pay of their debt
3. I would give members of the local community money to pay off their debt
4. I would end world hunger (pretty sure if all the churches that have an insane amount of money coming in every week worked together world hunger would no longer be a problem)
5. Build a house (not a mansion) for the homeless people in the local community
6. Donate money and supplies to local food pantries, soup kitchens, and at least until the houses are built homeless shelters
7. Make sure that everyone in the community has enough food, heat, etc (pretty much enough of the basics)
8. Fund health clinics in the developing world with a focus on maternal and children's health
9. Lobby congress to fix the education system in this country and eventually around the world
10. Make sure everyone in the developing world had access to health care and clean water
11. Buy shoes for every child in Africa via Tom's
12. Lobby congress to fis the screwed up health care system in this country
13. Maybe buy myself a new car
14. Maybe buy myself a house
15. Maybe buy myself Louis Vinton luggage (because that is what every pastor needs)

Please note that I didn't mention the color of the carpet, building a church addition that isn't needed and wasting money on a sound system that no one knows how to use.


No comments:

Post a Comment