Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Embracing Other Traditions

So I spent most of my day reading for my Islam class and let's just say that it was eye opening. I knew that there were Christians out there that were against Islam I just never realized how bad it was. Many Americans regardless of their faith belive that all people of the Islam faith tradition are terrorists. Saying that they are all terrorists is the equavilent of saying that all Christians in America and around the world for that matter are just as radical as the "Christians" of Westboro Baptist Church. For those of you who don't know anything about Westboro Baptist Church they are the group that protests soldiers funerals etc. I think we all know that not every Christian is radical like the members of Westboro and I think that is about high time we abandoned the belief that all followers of Islam are terrorists. I'm not saying that they are all peaceful but there are radicals in most faith systems. A lot of the reading for class was about what Christians mainly the Pentacostal denominations have said about Isalm and Muhammad throughout history the rest of it was about the the pillars of their faith and in reading about Ramadan I decided that I am going to fast a few times. I plan on using the time that I will spend fasting thinking about where I am spiritaully; examing the areas where I have grown and the areas that I need to grow in. I really liked the one idea that the book presented; a group of students at a college fasted during Ramadan and the money they would have spent on food they donated to charity. So I am going to use the money that I don't spend on food when I am fasting toward my OCC shoe boxes for this year. I would like to invite all of you to explore the Islamic faith tradition and to abandon the sterotypes that exist about it. If we all start living this way the world will become a better place and the Light of God will shine even brighter.

go in PEACE. be PEACE. live PEACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment