Monday, February 25, 2013

V-Day: 25

This week is National Eating Disorders Awareness Week. 
When I was 14 I was diagnosed with Bulimia. Looking at me you couldn't tell that I had an eating disorder. To an outsider I looked healthy. I ate a lot of food. But I was anything but healthy. 

Facts:

1. Bulimia nervosa affects 1-2% of adolescent and young adult women.
2. Approximately 80% of bulimia nervosa patients are female.
3. People struggling with bulimia nervosa usually appear to be of average body weight.
4. Many people struggling with bulimia nervosa recognize that their behaviors are unusual and perhaps dangerous to their health.
5. Bulimia nervosa is frequently associated with symptoms of depression and changes in social adjustment.
6. Risk of death from suicide or medical complications is markedly increased for eating disorders


No comments:

Post a Comment