Friday, February 1, 2013

V-Day:1

So it is February. I have no idea where the month of January went. I made the decision over the summer that the majority of the February blogs were going to be about V-Day. As a survivor I believe that is is important to talk about the issue of violence toward women and men. Each day there will be a fact about violence and information on how to end the violence etc. 
Some of you might find this offensive and to you I say, "My vagina's angry. It is. It's pissed off. My vagina's furious and it needs to talk." [My Angry Vagina. The Vagina Monologues: The V-Day Edition. Villard, New York:1998, 2001]

Fact: In 2006, 78,000 children were sexually abused. (Child Maltreatment 2006.) Because the majority of cases are not reported, it is estimated that the real number could be anywhere from 260,000-650,000 a year. (Finklehor 2008).

Truth: I was 12 when it started. I was 16 before I did told anyone. I spent 4 years living in fear and silence. 

Get Help:
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233 
Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network 800-656- HOPE (4673)

For more information: http://www.vday.org/home

No comments:

Post a Comment