Saturday, February 9, 2013

V-Day: 9

Growing up "feminist" was a dirty word. Not surprising when the church I grew up in taught that women were to be silent and submissive.


It wasn't until I got to Cedar Crest College that I started to understand what it means to be a feminist. Last spring I took a gender studies class. It was horrible, but it helped me define what feminism means to me. The class was pretty much 2.5 hours of everyone bitching about men. That is not what feminism is about. Feminism is not about bashing men. It is about a dream, a vision, a world view where men and women are equal. Where neither gender has to worry about being sexually abused. For me feminism is about lifting each other up. It is not about women being better than men. But I need feminism  I need feminism because I am a survivor. 
Get Help: 
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233 
Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network 800-656- HOPE (4673)




No comments:

Post a Comment